The cold snaps seemed to start early this season. All this cold weather calls for warm sleep sacks and soup for dinner. I particularly love this tomato soup because it has Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. I was skeptical at first, but you can't even tell the difference! This soup is already a favorite at our house and I know it will be in our regular dinner rotation through these cold winter months!
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup of onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
red pepper flakes to taste
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
8 ounces of cheese tortellini
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of basil, chopped
- Puree the diced tomatoes in a blender or food processor
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add onion and cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about a minute
- Add the flour and cook for another minute
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and tortellini. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the tortellini is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan, let it melt. Add the yogurt, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add the basil. Top with Parmesan cheese.